[HLUG] Where does Linux Mint go from here ?

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:43:23 UTC 2014

Hi

As you may know Linux Mint used to release its distro based on the Ubuntu
packages and its own desktop environments of Cinnamon and mate about a
month after Ubuntu's distro releases. But the upcoming release of Mint 18
will be the first that will have only the major DE updates and some major
application updates but won't have general application new versions as is
usual which I can understanding their thinking to improve stability but I
really would like new versions of applications without hundreds of messy
PPAs everywhere ...

So what do I do ? Go back to Ubuntu and install Cinnamon on top ? Messy but
would work, or move to a totally new distro like Arch which is very
powerful but possibly too much work to keep on top of

..Or something else - any suggestions ??

I want to keep on the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint line rather than Suse or Fedora
too ...

Also new Ubuntu was released a short while back and its the first time I
recall a new ubuntu without absolutely anyone telling me about it ... Is it
that boring now when new distro versions come out that we know what to
expect ... ?