[HLUG] Quick Linux Question aimed at but not exclusively for - Julian

Paul paul at paulnjulia.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 18:44:41 UTC 2015

Hi Julian,

I've frequented the HLUG on a few occasions, but cant get the time to
get up there as much now.  I see you are a great linux fan, and I
wondered if you could help me with a little matter.

I have a raspberry pi and want to set up a card which I can just copy
onto new sd cards as and when. So I download the NOOBs from pi.org (onto
the linux Desktop) and simply copy it to the sd card thru the command
line or even drag and drop onto the card from the GUI.

After putting the card in the pi and powering it up, the pi expands the
NOOBs to a fully functioning OS.

This is what I require help on, I want to put the SD card back into the
linux driven Desktop and copy the files from the card to a new Folder,
so that in future I can just put a new SD card in the sd card reader and
copy a fully operating OS, plus any other tweaks I have put onto the
card onto the new card, from either the GUI or command line.
One of my issues is what instruction do I type at the command line to
copy the whole card from the card to a subdirectory on the desktop and
then to copy from the directory to a new card in the card reader?

Any help, guidance greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,*
P**au**_l_*