[HLUG] Software Freedom Day - September 19th

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:05:20 UTC 2015

Hi everyone

During our LUG meeting on Wednesday Peter asked about the plans for SFD.
It's only two months away and is creeping up on us fast.

I've just sent an email to the Coordinator at All Saints in Hereford where
we have previously held these events (and Document Freedom Day too), to ask
if they are able to let us have the space we've previously had for free as
usual.

Assuming we get the go ahead ..., we will need to start planning activities
for SFD!

In our meeting we considered that an event broadly relating to the
Raspberry Pi with other Linux and Open Source also demonstrated would be
the best bet as the Raspberry Pi is probably more well known than Linux is
to the general public, and apart from Android the best way to get people
interested.

It may be fair to say that we may have less folk who are keen and able to
participate in the group this year for this event, (although I'd love to be
proved wrong ;-) ), but we agreed that it would be better to put on a
smaller event if we can get the venue for free rather than do nothing at
all.

Last year I was away 9 days in Amsterdam for work just before and during
SFD which completely messed up my plans to help co-ordinate it, but this
year I will be away a shorter period the weekend before so it will fit in
much better.

I will put together a Ether (pirate) pad soon, where we can indicate the
what, where, who and how and start to plan the event.

Please reply to this mail if you're able in any small way to help on the
day or beforehand.