[HLUG] Special Meeting 'Beginners Linux' June 24th, Leominster

Geoff Bagley geoff at geoffbagley.plus.com
Wed Jun 3 07:07:27 UTC 2015

Dear Julian.

Firstly, I will not be able to attend the Beginner's Linux Meeting.
My apologies.

Secondly, my favourite distro is Debian. I have useed it since "Woody".
The package management apt-get  utilities are superb.
The main problem is due to the obsession with the origins of software.
In particular,  the drivers for WiFi differ from one computer brand to
another,
and also for USB WiFi plug-in dongles such as ASUS.
The beginner can scarcely be expected to compile the appropriate source
code.

The alternative is to use a distro such as Ubuntu, but that condemns the
user
to their ideas for the desktop, which exclude alternatives such as xfce.

It might be prudent to have some solutions for this problem.
Mine is to use a wired local network using ethernet, but that would not suit
those for whom WiFi  is a must.

Very best wishes for success.

Geoff Bagley
Malvern.