[HLUG] Using Manjaro Linux in anger

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:38:25 UTC 2015

Hi

Although I'm quite comfortable with Linux Mint,  I just feel it's a little
slow and sadly will not keep up to date with newer packages of many apps
apart from two yearly lts releases. I know I can add newer packages with
ppas but it's a bit unwieldy when you have lots of them.

Manjaro (Arch) has packages that are do up to date.  But the only issue I
have still to rectify is where I have closed source Deb packages that don't
exist for Arch or Manjaro...

There is a script that converts Deb packages intelligently to arch ones
which I'm about to try with my No Machine Deb package I need for work..
Will be interesting to see how it goes.

But Manjaro is so fast compared to Mint,  albeit running with XFCE but I'm
happy with that. Manjaro with its newer 3.19 did a fix an issue I had with
unreliable mounting of the photos on my android LG g2 phone via USB,  which
never worked very well with mint or other distro s.

I will let you know how I get on.

If you've never tried Manjaro or Arch do so it's well worth it