[HLUG] File conversion.

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Fri Nov 27 22:19:29 UTC 2015

Good question.

Am 27.11.2015 um 20:21 schrieb david winterton:
> Clearly okukar and libreoffice can so pdf, Pete's instructions being clear.
> Just to help Geoff do they do ps. files,?  as i have nobe to test.

Had a look, libreoffice does open ps, but only as code, as far as I can
see, which isn't very helpful. Don't know if there is a tweak to make it
behave differently.
Gimp with ghostscript should, but gimp 2.8.14 doesn't. Google throws the
same prob up a few times, though the only solutions I've found come from
windows dealing with some .dlls or so.

Inkscape can open .ps properly, but unfortunately only one page at a
time, on first glance.

ghostscript does work and produces decent quality jpg, but I don't know
how to convince it, to do more then the first page if it's a multiple
page file:
gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=jpeg -r300 -sPAPERSIZE=a4
-sOutputFile=001gstest.jpg 001test.ps

imagemagick converts the files automatically in multiple jpg if multi
page, but quality is a bit more tricky:
convert -density 150 001test.ps -quality 100 001test.jpg
worked quite well for me. For quality purposes tweaking the -density
will have most effect.
convert -density 150 *.ps test.jpg
converts all ps files in directory to 1 jpg per page, they will use the
original name though and show up as test-1.jpg, test-2.jpg, ... I'm sure
there is a way to preserve the original way, but I don't know it.
Funnily enough, imagemagick uses ghostscript to do this. ;-)

My choice would be imagemagick, especially if there's a lot of files.

--
Andreas Ege

		24 The Birches
                Shobdon