[HLUG] Help with Linux kernel

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:07:10 UTC 2016

Hi A

Bit odd as normally Lenovo IBM are very compatible machines that work
easily with Linux.

Probably you will need to boot with a different kernel parameter or no apic
or no acpi something like this where the kernel options passed by default
are causing the oops you're seeing.

As Ann said if you can let us know which distro you're trying that would
help to diagnose things

One thing worth trying ... If you're using a 2.6 kernel it will be quite an
old distro. Many issues are fixed with newer kernels that are used with
newer versions of Linux. Although 32 bit isn't as popular as it was you can
still get 32 bit downloads of most distros so I would try the latest lts
version of Ubuntu or Mint possibly with xfce or another light distro for
your hardware. But you might as well just try Mint and mate as the desktop
and just get it working first.

If you want to try fixing the problem you have now you will need to get to
interrupt the Linux boot and try putting -noapic etcat the end of the boot
line . it's a bit tricky without knowing more but basically will be a start
.. Or just dl a newer version and try installing that instead

Good luck see you at the next mtg on 27th jan

Julian
 Hi,
Newcomer here. I plan on being present at the next meeting, as I have
recently discovered there is an issue with my Linux 32 kernel 2.6.32-5-686
on a Lenovo IBM ThinkPad R31. (Processor intel, Cellr no. 1.2 GHZ, Hard
drive 20GB, RAM 512 MB).

Don't know much about operating systems but will do my best to prep myself
before the 27th.

Just checking if anyone that will be there knows how to deal with a kernel
oops with such variables, and if they could possibly provide some
assistance in a simplified, accessible way for a beginner. I would really
enjoy learning about the process, not just have someone do it for me.

Many thanks and take care,
-A