[HLUG] Flashing rom for routers with open source firmware F1000

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 17:53:28 UTC 2016

Hi

Well ive put in my order for fibre fttc but what to do about the router ?
I'm going with Uno as as im only 200yds from the cabinet should get speeds
of 70-80 mbps .
But uno dont supplier a vsdl router by default so i had to look around for
decent but not expensive vsdl midem routers.
I spotted a Technicolor router on ebay in Ireland cheap but the psu was
missibg instead the seller said he'd send a Zyxel F1000 Eircom vsdl router
which is rather nice but unfortunately is locked to Eircom in Ireland and
you cant add any other isps. Also the eircom firmware us about 10 versions
behind the latest and lots if bugs fixed. This router with all latest fixes
really performs well and syncs at higher line rates than a good number of
cheap modems.

But luckily this firmware is all linux and gpl and an enterprising chap in
ireland requested the gpl firmware from the mfr so he could flash the
standard latest firmware and not the crippled eircom one.
Since then theres been lots if advice
http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057302483 about how you flash the firmware
via a usb to ttl to the uart on the board so you can effectively make the
device and unbranded normal Zyxel router. Whuch is what im planning to do
when i get it in the post soon.

Isnt it good that we can legally do this with our devices we buy to use as
we wish ?

I'll keep you updated .. Fingers crossed.

Will send links if anyones interested later.