[HLUG] DNS and VPN query

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 16:40:40 UTC 2017

Hi all

I've setup a web server on a remote machine VPS on Linode.

I want to keep the connection between the web server on the Linode secure
so have installed OpenVPN server on the Linode too.

I have setup openvpn clients on a few pcs and phones  in my company locally
that will connect via the VPN to the secure web server.

The web server is set up with a Fqdn but I only want to be able to connect
via the VPN and ban any traffic to it from the web not via the VPN which I
have setup various  firewall rules and forwarding which works nicely in
this respect.

My problem is that now I reach the web server via https via the VPN it's
via a local address in the 10.0.0.0 address range.

So how can I set up a mapping of my Fqdn of the web server to this internal
IP address? I tried setting up some Lan forwarding IP rules in my local
router but as the Lan is via the VPN it's not able to set this DNS as the
client pcs etc are using a local 192.168.0.x range. I tried adding VLANS to
the router so I can have two LANS on it but this wasn't successful.

I could set up a DNS server on the VPS or just add some simple host entries
to the clients so they resolve the Fqdn but it appears you can't do this on
android phones unless rooted which they are not ..

Any ideas ?

Please let me know if you need any clarification of the above to answer ...

Thanks