[HLUG] Cinnamon -> Gnome -> KDE Plasma ;-)

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:05:26 UTC 2018

Hello

I had a rare problem with my Manjaro install at work with Cinnamon where
Cinnamon just wouldn't start after a major upgrade and after a couple of
hours of fault-finding I gave up for the time being.

I decided that for now it would be better to just install a different
Desktop Environment to get around the problem. Gnome had the same issue so
couldn't be used and XFCE is just a bit too plain for my liking.

So instead I installed KDE Plasma 5.6. Now I've used KDE in the past and
had a sneaking liking for it, but it always felt far too cluttered and
would get in the way of my workflow.

After using it for nearly a couple of weeks I'm liking it a lot. In some
ways I actually prefer it to Cinnamon in fact.

I will certainly carry on with Plasma and I use this little story to say
Linux and FLOSS is about choice and sometimes we make our own choices and
sometimes we have Hobson's choice put upon us such as this time. But I'm so
pleased to have rediscovered KDE by accident really and I suggest that if
you have some spare time it's a good idea to experiment and try something
new as you might just like it ;-)

Would be good to hear any other stories of a happy Linux accident that
you've come by way of.

Happy hunting