[HLUG] New Workshop Style Events by the LUG

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:40:47 UTC 2018

Hi

Someone at the last meeting but one (rather snowy at the last one
unfortunately), asked if we were likely to have any more special events in
the near term.

I think aiming at simpler events that we can get going with without too
many demands for lots of man power, or hours and hours and hours of
preparation is the best for us at the moment.

Something similar to the events we put on at the Grange in Leominster I'm
thinking of that were were received and can be aimed at the general public
too.

So if we aim for a an event in May so we have a couple of months to get
things together we need to decide a topic and presenter or presenters.

I wonder if an Linux Install Day might be a goer? It's so much easier to
install Linux nowadays that this is something achievable, in a short-ish
space of time, is fun and can do our bit to help the public learn about the
all the wonderful free and open source software available out there.

We could do full Linux installs subject to the usual provisos, ie strong
warnings about backing up all data, etc and possible irretrievable loss of
data; and we could also do installs of Linux via VirtualBox for those less
inclined or confident in changing their pc or device.

We would need to get some publicity before the event to get folk to come
along and as a group we would need to agree a couple of Linux distro
options to install with.

Possibly one '*Normal*' such a Mint and one '*Lite*' version for the pc's
that are rather underpowdered but can be kept going nicely and take over
from an old Windows XP etc.

We can put the event on as part of the Linux Presentation Day branding
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org and they allow different groups to
use whatever day they prefer for the event to be held appreciating that
it's almost impossible to have events on exactly the same day in many
countries.

A few ideas  for you all ... who's in ? I am ;-)

I can set up a Wiki as we've done before to help co-ordinate ideas and
plans

What do you think ?