[HLUG] Huawei / Honor laptops and Linux

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:01:56 UTC 2021

Hi all

I'm looking to get a laptop that I can solely use for Linux day to day
usage. I've been looking at the Huawei Matebooks or Honor laptops too
https://www.techadvisor.com/review/huawei-matebook-14-2020-amd-3796198/

In China these are actually sold with Linux so there is good compatibility
with Linux for these machines apart from the fingerprint creaser which I'm
not likely to use.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried any of these with Linux?

My job with NobleProg is going ok. Doing lots of interesting stuff with LXC
containers, Mariadb server replication, unison file replication to
replicate a web server and KVM based desktop virtualisation. Some of their
existing scripts are quite funky using text based captchas for SSH login
etc.