[HLUG] Ubuntu 16.04 is EOL and Extended Security Maintenance (ESM)

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:46:06 UTC 2021

Hi all

Hopefully will be back to some normality in the near future with meetings
at the Courtyard again from later this month !

I note that if you're running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS that this is now end of life
so an upgrade will be needed. However what I didn't realise is that
Canonical offers ESM
https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-16-04-lts-transitions-to-extended-security-maintenance-esm
which provides another 3 years of critical security updates where upgrades
aren't practical for the moment.

I note that for personal users that you can obtain these ESM security fixes
for up to 3 machines free of charge, which I didn't know. You will have to
pay to get more machines using these upgrades though, unless you're an
Ubuntu member where you can get these upgrades FOC for up to 50 machines.

Hopefully this info might be useful. The blog post is quite detailed for
those that want to investigate further.

Thanks