[Herts] Webmin / SSL / FTP(?) and Reverse DNS!

Robert Horton rob at rthorton.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 07:07:22 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 22:21, Oliver Cole wrote:
> Nicolas
>
> in-addr.arpa is a kinda posh way of talking about IP addresses, from what
> I gather, the absolutely complete (canonical??) way of talking about IPs
> is 195.92.253.3.in-addr.arpa

They're used for mapping ip addresses to hostnames. To find the hostname
for 195.8.70.75 you would look up the PTR record for
75.70.8.195.in-addr.arpa (note the reverse order). The in-addr.arpa zone
is delegated by the IP registries.

For a standard cable account you won't have control over the reverse
DNS. Maybe you can configure webmin or apache (if it uses that?) not to
do hostname lookups..?

Rob