[Herts] Interesting debate

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 22:13:31 GMT 2004

Cyberesque wrote:
 > Samsung quotes:
 > >"Almost no CD writer available in the market is compatible with Linux/Unix.
 > >The only recommended operating systems for using CD writers are Windows
 > >95/98/2000/XP and NT. The recording programs do not support most of the
 > >other operating systems. In other words: under Linux/Unix etc. CD writers
 > >will work like a normal CD-ROM drive."

[snip]

> I have noticed a lot of manufacturers say they only support windows; Yet
> they supply linux drivers on the CD, but don't bother to mention the fact
> anywhere which infuriates me.
> Lexx

Curious. I've been using Linux for almost 10 years, and can honestly say:
1) Every IDE and SCSI CD writer I've ever used has worked under Linux.
2) I have never seen a "special" Linux driver for a CD writer.

Linux, like most "Unixes" will treat a SCSI device based on the class of
device it falls into. Linux has a generic "driver" for CDs and CD writers, and
therefore (in my experience) just works. For IDE devices, there is a SCSI
emulation layer which makes everything happy.

Am I missing something here, or is the original Samsung quote just a pile of
Sh*te ?

Regards,

Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E