[Herts] Interesting debate

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 23:46:50 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:42:49PM -0000, Geoff Pitt wrote:
> This strikes a note - been reading the register today.
> As an NHS employee at the IT end, I read the following article with interest:

"Meanwhile, speaking to CNet Microsoft senior vice president
 of business strategy Maggie Wilderotter..."

Nice name!

:-)
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=94197&cid=8080906
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=94197&cid=8080717
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=94197&cid=8080721
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=94197&cid=8080798

In other news:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/26/1834209

What are IBM up to? My head hurts...

> Samsung quotes:
>
> >"Almost no CD writer available in the market is compatible with Linux/Unix.
> >The only recommended operating systems for using CD writers are Windows
> >95/98/2000/XP and NT. The recording programs do not support most of the
> >other operating systems. In other words: under Linux/Unix etc. CD writers
> >will work like a normal CD-ROM drive."

FUD. Sure, *Windows* CD-burning software won't work on Linux. Doh!

> And one of our guys replied:
> Ironically, the only manufacturer I know that put "Linux compatible" on
> the box was LG.  Oops.

There was a weirdness with Mandrake and LG CD-ROMs (not writers)
last year:

> A better way of phrasing Sansung's statement would be "Almost all CD
> writers available in the market are compatible with Linux/Unix, but we
> prefer to let the guys in the Linux kernel development team do the hard
> work."

Generally most (all recent?) CD-writers are penguin-friendly:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdwriters-2.0.html

Malc