[Herts] Interesting debate

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jan 27 10:21:59 GMT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Cyberesque wrote:

> A better way of phrasing Sansung's statement would be "Almost all CD
> writers available in the market are compatible with Linux/Unix, but we
> prefer to let the guys in the Linux kernel development team do the hard
> work."

The kernel developers have almost nothing to do with support for CD
writing. The authors of cdrecord and cdrdao make it possible for us to
write CDs. The kernel developers just implement the standard SCSI and
ATAPI drivers - you don't need the ide-scsi layer in place to use an IDE
CD writer any more if you have a 2.4+ kernel and version 2.x of cdrecord.

> I have noticed a lot of manufacturers say they only support windows; Yet
> they supply linux drivers on the CD, but don't bother to mention the fact
> anywhere which infuriates me.

That does seem very stupid. To not market a product to a market section
you've taken the trouble of providing the support for makes no sense at
all.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month