[Herts] Oracle on Linux?

Thorstein Thorsteinsson thorstein at thorsteinsson.net
Sat Jun 26 23:01:16 BST 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:02:51PM +0100, Neale Roberts <neale at ndroberts.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> I recently installed Oracle 10g onto my Linux server running Fedora Core 1.
> All you need to do to fool Oracle is the following:
>
> # cp /etc/fedora-release /etc/fedora-release.orig
> # echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)" >
> /etc/fedora-release
>
> Oracle then thinks it is installing on RedHat Enterprise 3. I had no further
> installation problems and after it is installed you can restore the original
> fedora-release file.

Thanks a lot. After waiting for the Fedora ISO images to download installing
Linux and Oracle was actually fairly straightforward. The link
    http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml#TipsAndHintsForOracle10gOnLinux
is pretty useful, also describes the /etc/..release trick you mention.

Cheers,
Thorstein