[Herts] Teaching an old dog new tricks

Lexx linux at cyberesque.com
Fri May 21 06:42:01 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:46, Mr. Spock wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:11:40PM +0100, Lexx wrote:
> > I have a very old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS and I'd like to put a new
> > disti on it. It currently has Debian on it, but it isn't working well.
The biggest problem initially was not being able to get it to look right
on the 10" screen, but now menus have disappeared as well and I've never
got sound to work on it.

> If it's not fixable by running "apt-get update" and then
>  "apt-get -u upgrade" or
>  "apt-get -u dist-upgrade", then how about trying the new
> installer that Joey has been teaching lots of new tricks:
Well for starters it doesn't have an internet connection

> > did get a message saying low on resources, but even a text install
> > didn't improve things.
> >
> How low are we talking? Pentium? 486? 386?
> How much RAM? Hopefully more than 8MB, more for X.
IIRC 98MB Ram and a 7gig HDD (but it can only read 4gig)
> You could always try running a Knoppix/Morphix Live CD
> (if it has a bootable CD drive) to see if the hardware
> will run Linux, in case the mouse was problematic.
> Does/did the mouse ever work with Debian?
It doesn't have a bootable CDRom