[Herts] Teaching an old dog new tricks

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Thu May 20 23:45:16 BST 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:11:40PM +0100, Lexx wrote:
> I have a very old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS and I'd like to put a new
> disti on it. It currently has Debian on it, but it isn't working well.

If it's not fixable by running "apt-get update" and then
 "apt-get -u upgrade" or
 "apt-get -u dist-upgrade", then how about trying the new
installer that Joey has been teaching lots of new tricks:

http://www.thiesen.org/d-i/index.html

> did get a message saying low on resources, but even a text install
> didn't improve things.

How low are we talking? Pentium? 486? 386?
How much RAM? Hopefully more than 8MB, more for X.

You could always try running a Knoppix/Morphix Live CD
(if it has a bootable CD drive) to see if the hardware
will run Linux, in case the mouse was problematic.
Does/did the mouse ever work with Debian?

> My other option is putting something totally new on it.

This could involve you learning a whole new bunch of tricks...

Good Luck!

____
Malc