[Herts] Considering a new distro

Neil Youngman ny at youngman.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 19:03:19 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 Mar 2005 13:44, Steve Clark wrote:
> I've got a PC running Mandrake 10 and that's pretty good so far. I just
> have the odd issue with installing software. The latest episode was when
> I tried Digikam (digital camera download, photo management/editing). It
> comes as source and I gave up after it demanded about 6 other packages.
>
> I have another PC that's due to be Linuxed and fancy trying something
> different there. I hear lots of good things about some of the Debian
> distros. So I'm after opinions. Possibilities include Knoppix, Mepis,
> Ubuntu (not sure if I want Gnome only). I don't really have the time to
> play with all of them, so I'm after the path of least resistance. I
> intend to put together a list of software I'm using and/or intend to
> use. That should appear on my blog at www.bagofspoons.net some time soon.

Well I've installed Mepis here, although it's been considerably updated from
Debian testing. It suits me pretty well. It's main advantage for me is that
it has a pretty slick install and you get access to all the Debian packages.

As it's both a live CD and an installable distro, I recommend downloading it
and having a play, then you can install if you like.

It is KDE only, I believe, so if you want to mix and match KDE and gnome,
you'll have to download all the gnome stuff from Debian after installing.

HTH

Neil Youngman