[Herts] Free to good home

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Jan 18 11:48:23 GMT 2007

Nicolas Pike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am afraid the cassette deck and tuner have now gone.

Glad to hear you found homes for them.

I've been doing a bit of trading in old computer parts this week. I gave
away some of my old spares and gained some in return. My PC gained an
extra 256MB DIMM and an nvidia MX400 card. I know it's old, but at least
it gets recognised by the MB, unlike a newer one that Rob gave me.

Much as I'd like a whole new PC, I'm trying to keep mine going a while
longer by upgrading what I can as part of my general efforts to maintain
a slightly more sustainable lifestyle. I don't play games, so don't
really need the latest kit. I just have to wait a bit longer for things
like video file conversion.

The graphics card has been causing me some issues. I think I have the
right drivers now (nvidia-glx-legacy), but not KDE does not always start
properly. startx was failing totally, but I managed to fix that.
Sometimes I just get a bare desktop with just a konsole window that has
no title bar. I ran kicker and that sometimes fixes things, but not always.

I'm trying my luck on the Ubuntu forums, but I may be on #hertslug
tonight if anyone wants to try and help.