[Herts] Recommendations for a good linux Web page tool?

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 01:06:53 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:53:22PM +0100, Tony Friis wrote:

> I use rest2web to create simple but good looking and functional static
> websites - but it's definitely not Dreamweaver. Also I like the ability
> to use ReST as a straightforward markup system for the text content.

I just had a look at those links. I take a similar approach for some of
my stuff but I use John Gruber's Markdown syntax. Lots of other people
have extended Markdown and written converters in other languages but I
still use the original syntax specification and Gruber's own
implementation in Perl which has not been modified since 2004:

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

The Daring Fireball site itself is based on Markdown source so it gives
you an idea of the sort of things you can do. You basically need to
insert the resulting HTML/XHTML into a template to create complete
pages.

Ian