[Herts] Closed Windows.

Andrew Porter andrewchoras at supanet.com
Sat May 10 18:43:11 BST 2008

To all,

As a person who is new to this group, and wishing to pursue Linux as an
operating system, I can confirm that it is my dissatisfaction with
Microsoft Windows products, and Microsoft  Office software that has
driven me to find alternatives. Even when moving to Fire Fox,
Thunderbird and Open Office in a Microsoft operating system, the
underlying flaws within the Microsoft product remain. These include a
massive amount of software code to do very little, packages that simply
expand rather than have the underlying flaws removed, US English as the
default, and in many case what Microsoft consider to by UK English,
rather than English, is still full of faults all biased towards US English.

To resolve my frustrations, I took the advice to have a new computer
configured as a dual boot system with SuSE Linux, and Microsoft Vista.
This was done through Q-Tek in Stevenage, and after fighting against the
problems with Microsoft Vista, I have eventually managed to get a
computer that communicates with the Internet, and the printer. Problems
such as fighting against faulty driver software in Microsoft Vista for
my printer when trying to install the correct software took many
evenings of frustration. Perhaps the warning should have been that
Microsoft Office 2000 requires 1.4GByte of memory, against 91MByte for
Open Office. I  none longer use, and I have not installed Microsoft Office.

Having resolved the Microsoft problems, I turned my attention to SuSE
Linux 10.0, as installed by Q-Tek. Sadly, this does not work, as Q-Tek
forgot to give me the password needed by SuSE Linux 10.0 to  install the
printer software, and access the Internet. In other words, I cannot down
load the printer software through SuSE Linux, and therefore I cannot
install the printer software?

Question: My car provides my with a manual on how to use all the
controls, options, etc., in the car. Why does software come without any
instructions, and comments such as, 'contact your PC manufacturer for
product support.' Does this mean that Q-Tek will come to my home, at
their cost, to show me how to use Microsoft Vista and SuSE Linux?

I await for an informed response.

Thanks,

Andrew Porter