[Herts] Moving IRC channel

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 21:10:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

The Herts LUG IRC channel has been very quiet recently.

So, firstly, a reminder that we have a channel, #hertslug on EFNet, if
you need any help getting on IRC give me a shout or try www.mibbit.com
which is a fairly slick AJAXy web-based IRC client.

Secondly, when we set up the channel, somebody did suggest that maybe it
should live on the Freenode[0] network, which is more of a techie
network than EFNet, which is a general purpose network.

I felt that EFNet was a better bet at the time, as it's bigger (and
that's where I already hung out :) ).

However, Freenode is pretty damn big these days (for instance, #perl
currently has 595 people in, biggest is #ubuntu with 1398), and is a
favourite hangout for open-source types.

I'm wondering if we should have our channel there, in the hopes that
maybe we'll get more people "wander in" and discover our LUG.

There's already quite a lot of LUGs on there, so we'd be in good company.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Dave P

[0] http://www.freenode.net/