[Herts] FreeNode channel details (was: Moving IRC channel)

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 10:01:38 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Right, as the consensus seems to be to migrate our channel to FreeNode
for convenience and hopefully to be discovered by new members, I've
created a channel there, named #hertslug again.

Have a read of http://www.freenode.net/ for the details on FreeNode.

You can just use chat.freenode.net as your IRC server (which is a DNS
round-robin between all their servers), alternatively their list of
servers can be found at http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml
  (so you can pick the London server pratchett.freenode.net, for lower
latency).

If your browser knows how to handle IRC "URLs", then the following may
take you straight there: irc://chat.freenode.net/#hertslug

If you don't have an IRC client installed but want to join in,
http://www.mibbit.com/ is quite a nice web-based AJAXy client.

Unlike EFNet, FreeNode uses NickServ and ChanServ, which means you can
register nicks and channels to prevent others taking them.

When you connect, if you've stolen someone else's nick, NickServ will
tell you about it.  If not, you can register the nick by doing:

/msg nickserv register <your-password> <your-email>

Anyway, that should be enough to get you going, if you've got any
questions or problems just shout!

I'm rather liking FreeNode, it seems to be a very good network with a
lot of open-source type people hanging out there, and channels for
pretty much all the notable open source projects.

Look forward to seeing you on there!

Cheers

Dave P