[Herts] Youtube without Flash

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Sat Sep 5 10:42:17 UTC 2009

I just heard about this on the Ubuntu UK Podcast

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/

It's a script you use with Greasemonkey in Firefox that shows the video by
embedding mplayer in the web page. It includes the option to download the
video. This probably breaks Youtube's TOS, so it may get blocked at some point

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/38074

This may be useful to those who won't/can't use Flash. I don't know how good
the open alternatives, e.g. Gnash, are these days. I know Youtube is full of
rubbish, but there is a lot of genuinely useful and interesting material on
there. I frequently use it for guitar tutorials.

BTW I may have found a way to fix my sound when it dies by restarting asla-
utils

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

I just have to check that nothing is using sound at the time with

lsof | grep pcm

That worked yesterday. I'll try it again next time I have a problem. It would
be better to know what causes the sound to die in the first place. I've tried
looking at log files, but don't see anything obvious.