[Herts] LUG member questionaire

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Thu Apr 1 07:14:06 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 31 Mar 2010 19:44:41 Steve Clark wrote:
1. Who are you? Give as much/little info about yourself as you like

Mid-40s father of 2. I develop software for the TV industry using C# and
Oracle. Previously developed in Basic, Pascal, C++, Magic (Israeli 4GL).

2. What's you general computer experience? When did you start using them?

First used a computer via a teletype and acoustic coupler to connect to the
local college at 13. Spent many lunch hours writing silly programs. Eventually
got a BBC micro. Later had various Amigas, then a Win98 PC.

3. When/why did you start using Linux?

I think it was Red Hat 6 around 2000. Was bored with Windows and Linux sounded
interesting. The lack of cost was a bonus.

4. Is Linux your main OS?

Yes. Main PC used by whole family

5. What distro/desktop do you use?

Kubuntu/KDE. When I've tried Gnome in the past I just didn't get on with it

6. Do you still need to use another OS? Do you use dual boot, virtual PC,
Wine?

Got a couple of laptops with XP. One is just used for programming my home
control system. Don't generally need Windows for anything else. The new
netbook is overdue for installing some form of Linux as dual-boot.

7. Do you play games? What OS/console?

Play the odd game on the Wii with the kids.

8. Do you write software?

Outside work I don't write as much as I'd like to. Do the occaisional little
Python script.

9. Do you hack hardware?

I've been known to do a bit of soldering, but nothing too advanced

10. Profit! Sorry, I meant, anything else you'd like to say?

I've long been wanting to do some audio work with Linux. Trying to find the
time to set up a PC for it. Music is my other main obsession.

http://bagofspoons.net