[Herts] LUG member questionaire

nigelg.net nigel at nigelg.net
Thu Apr 1 23:25:25 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Clark <steve at bagofspoons.net>
To: Herts LUG <herts at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [Herts] LUG member questionaire
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:44:41 +0100

On the drive home today I was pondering putting together a little questionaire
so we can get to know a bit more about the membership. Here's some thoughts on
possible questions. I'll provide my answers later

1. Who are you? Give as much/little info about yourself as you like
Nigel - working hard to make things simple (http://nigelg.net).

2. What's you general computer experience? When did you start using them?
At work a long time ago - Pr1me, MicroVax, DEC alpha,
At home - ZX80, BBC micro, Acorn Achimedes, PC's, Macs

3. When/why did you start using Linux?
Unix - long ago
Linux at home - many years ago

4. Is Linux your main OS?
Since 2004

5. What distro/desktop do you use?
ubuntu - main desktop
SME server - firewall, Web, Database and file server

have dabbled with Knoppix, Debian, Slax, DSL, Suse, Xandros and recently PC-BSD

6. Do you still need to use another OS? Do you use dual boot, virtual PC,
Wine?
No and No. I do use OS X sometimes and still use Windows at work.

7. Do you play games? What OS/console?
No

8. Do you write software?
Yes

9. Do you hack hardware?
Yes

10. Profit! Sorry, I meant, anything else you'd like to say?
I'm a bit of a generalist and will have a go at most stuff. Have done database development,
electronic government, web development and Geographic Information Systems.

Non computer interests have included Custom Cars, Mountain Biking, DIY and woodturning.

As a hobby thing I run a website www.diecast.plus.com about model cars, Dinky Toys etc which gets about 250,000 hits a month.