[Herts] Questions.

Andrew Porter andrewchoras at supanet.com
Fri Apr 2 13:51:26 UTC 2010

Steve

Your comments are consistent with the general recommendations that I
have received from work colleagues, that is, Q-Tek did not provide the
full set up they should have, and Ubuntu would have been a better
introduction to Linux. Apparently, it is notably better in detecting the
dual boot Windows element, and able to extract the Internet settings
information, etc. As for the Lexmark printer, I have found that Lexmark
do provide driver software compatible with SuSE Linux and other Linux
operating systems, therefore, once SuSE Linux is set up correctly, it
should be a straight forward process to down load the software. Suffice
to say, help received from Lexmark with Windows Vista was really
comprehensive, easy to understand and follow. The bad bit was trying to
stop Windows Vista automatically overriding the correct driver software!
Put it this way, Vista is my first ever Microsoft purchase, and will be
the last.

I must add that rather than feeling that my experience with Linux has
been bad, or possibly frustrating, I suspect that this has more to do
with Q-Tek not preforming the installation requested completely,
possibly because they are not familiar with Linux installations. Being
new to Linux myself means that I was unable to detect that this issue
was applicable, therefore, I am reluctant to blame Linux as being at
fault. In fact, I remain very keen to have a Linux operating system as
my prime operating system, and only use Microsoft products as a last
resort for those increasingly less common elements that require a
Microsoft operating system. Even within my Microsoft system I use Open
Office, etc., and have found this better than Microsoft Office.

Yes, operating a Linux system from a DVD does work, and this is one
method, possibly, of testing Ubuntu, before installing over SuSE Linux.
The live DVDs I have are those intended to allow the user to run a Linux
system from a DVD, without endangering the computer's existing operating
system. If it works well, then the option exists to provide an
installation. As my computer is already a dual boot system, with a 50%
partitioned hard drive means that the process should be relatively
simple, provided that I over write the correct half of the hard drive!
However, I know that the Windows side is a FAT32 or NTFS system, and
SuSE Linus should be EXT 2 or EXT 3 so that the risk of deleting the
Windows system in error is low. Even if I did, I have an external hard
drive used as a full back up of the Windows Vista system, all the
documents, files, etc.

As for bringing in my computer, the answer is yes. However, I am may
miss this month's meeting, I as I am due to be in France on a business
trip. Suffice to say, being in the minority as an Analogue Design
Engineer at work means high demands upon my time at work!

Enjoy your Easter break, whilst I look forward to eliminating my initial
frustrations with SuSE Linux, where SuSE Linux, itself, is not the cause
of the problem.

Regards

Andrew Porter

PS. I have been advised that SuSE Linux is biased towards office
applications, therefore, a Local Area Network. This make explain why
Ubuntu is regarded as a better option for the home user.