[Herts] Questions.

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Fri Apr 2 11:37:40 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 31 Mar 2010 21:22:22 Andrew Porter wrote:
> 4. Is Linux your main OS?
>
>  It was intended to be, but I have failed, so far, to get the system to
>  recognise the DVD drive, the printer, and connect to the Internet. Books,
>  etc., have not been of any help, as they assume that all that is needed has
>  already been established, reference the DVD drive recognition, printer,
>  Internet connection and settings. The information sources are intended to
>  provide guidance once all that is needed is in place and working.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with Linux so far. I think
that back in the old days (a few years ago) I too found it tricky to get
everything working, but my recent experience, mostly with Ubuntu, has been
that it 'just works'. I've plugged in a webcam, Bluetooth adaptor and scanner
and had them working without any extra drivers or even editing of
configuration files.

You say you've tried SUSE, which I haven't used. Have you tried other distros?
Have you tried live CDs? Can you bring the PC to a meeting so we can try and
help?