[Herts] Questions.

Andrew Porter andrewchoras at supanet.com
Fri Apr 2 18:03:14 UTC 2010

Mike

I either received, or took the wrong advice from a former colleague.
Suffice to say, it was SuSE Linux that was introduced on a corporate
computer that some engineers were asked to use, therefore, this was
their first introduction to Linux. With impressed responses all round
means that the general opinion, at the time, was for SuSE Linux, without
necessarily understanding the implications of how to install and fully
set up SuSE Linux. In addition, when one former colleague did install
SuSE Linux, it was a dual boot system with Windows 98, where it appears
that SuSE Linux was able to detect far more from the Windows 98
settings, when compared to SuSE Linux and Windows Vista, no great
surprise now that I understand how much Microsoft appear to tie in their
users. Perhaps Microsoft regard Linux operating systems as an increasing
market competitor, particularly when Dell started to offer ready to run
computers with Ubuntu Linux installed.

Time to step back and recognise that I need to start with Ubuntu or
similar, as an alternative to SuSE Linux, or more significantly, to
detatch myself from Microsoft Vista.

Andrew