[Herts] Questions.

Mike - XP Computers mike at xpcomputers.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 17:27:57 UTC 2010

Andrew,

I can't comment on whether you had good advice or not. Since I haven't tried
SuSE (or any other version Linux recently).... so that only leaves me
qualified to talk about my experience on my netbook and another computer.
Both worked without fiddling with Mint 8.

At the end of the day no OS is perfect, so what worked for me, might not
work for you and your hardware. I chose Mint after a lot of reading up, as I
was about to install Ubuntu, and read that Mint supposed to be a bit better
again. For example it has all the media CODECs preinstalled in the main
version, so media files just work out of the box. I think I read it has
better wireless card detection too. I must say I like the Mint main menu
too.

I'm sure you could make any version of Linux work for you. One particular
tip is to Google search your your laptop model number and the name of the
linux you are considering: eg for my Samsung NC10 netbook, I searched for
something like: NC10 Mint linux  (and variations on that theme eg NC10 "Mint
8";)

You should get a feel for whether anyone has trodden the path before you and
solved any problems if there were any... which might help you pick a distro
of Linux that works with your hardware better than a different distro (or
even different version of that distro). In the case of my Netbook, I found
that someone had made a repository for Ubuntu & NC10 netbooks, that made all
the screen brightness key strokes work etc. and fortunately they worked for
me with no modification on Mint too (as the vast majority of Ubuntu stuff
does). But I had a very complete experience out of the box without those
extras.... they were just the icing on the cake!

If you have older hardware, then the latest version of a distro isn't always
better, since sometimes the advances break compatibility with older
hardware. Older ATi graphics cards drivers being one example broken by newer
Kernels, and ATi have failed to update the drivers. Open source community
drivers are getting better though, and in most cases the graphics still
display fine, you just get less advanced support for the hardware and it's
3D acceleration.

So although I'm very happy with Mint here, (and I recommend at least giving
it's Live CD a go, so you can see how it looks for yourself on your
hardware), you might well find your best distro of Linux is a different
distro/version to me. Hopefully the google search for your computer model
will help you narrow the list down very quickly so you can try a few live
CD/DVD's out to see how well it works for you.

Mike