[Herts] Using server components in a sleek spacecraft-like housing

Malcolm Smith lists at thesmith.org.uk
Sun May 16 17:28:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:14:57AM +0100, David Honour wrote:
> It's gonna have to be about 225x495x500mm minimum to fit everything in.
> It also has to be vented top and bottom for maximum passive airflow.

+1 - I don't know why more case designs don't use these simple laws
of physics.

> Materials, I was thinking possibly a bit of 1.5mm sheet aluminium

Good for cooling, but if you plan to use mechanical spinning hard disks
then be sure to read this:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/05/07/2254210/Vibration-Killing-Enterprise-Disk-Performance

Note especially:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1645104&cid=32134298

I'm not sure if suspending disks would help or hinder this.

Obviously a single HDD in a case will be much less afflicted than a
whole rack cabinet of 1U servers. If you're just using SSDs (and
external spinning HDDs) then this is moot.

> A render and the blender file for the current mockup is here.
> http://www.foolswood.co.uk/dumpground/

Looks nice :)

Cheers
--