[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 20:01:00 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 17:22, Rob Shakir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You may want to try a distro such as IP COP  this is a distro that is developed to be a router /firewall. There are other distros like this such as Smoothwall but IMHO IPCop is the best. IPCop can be found at: http://www.ipcop.org/. Also check out the Smoothwall site at http://www.smoothwall.org/. I think you will find these distros to be a little better than RH 7.2 at the task you have in mind.
>
> I hope this helps :)

Or alternativel, get hold of an old box!  (I have an old 486 without any
fans or harddrives)

Get hold of a single floppy distro router/firewall.

I use Freesco (FREEcisCO)!  wwww.freesco.org. Although there are quite a
few out there!

then you need two NIC.  One to plug into the cable/modem/adsl thingie,
and the other into your hub.

Freesco has it's own DNS server, so for the other machines you just use
this as the gateway (it does NAT!) and the DNS server!

Freesco has a seriously easy menu to set it up.  And it does DHCP etc...

It's really pretty cool.  I've been running one for 3 years now, and the
only time I've altered it, was when I switched it from a dialup modem to
a Cable modem.  (oh yes it will do dial-on-demand as well!!!)

Give it a go, you won't regret it!!!

Cheers
Chris