[Hudlug] Plain Text emails

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 13:41:01 2003

On Friday 22 Aug 2003 1:21 pm, Tim wrote:
> Ross Brown wrote:
> > Whilst I agree with the basis of your argument, it doesn't work
> > in the real world: in the real world people don't use Thunderbird
> > (cause I don't particularly want my old mum beta testing
> > software), have no idea what a rendering engine is and use the
> > copy of Outlook Express their Windows box came bundled with.
>
> Well, outlook express is 6 years old, and it still is flaky around
> the edges.  (especially in its ability to auto run nasty content
> that people may email in)

FWIW I have not installed OE onany box that I have been concerned with
- ever.  This means that my technophobic husband, technophobic elder
daughter, techno-just-about-accepting younger daughter, grandson and
granddaughter and a couple of friends have all used first, Netscape,
and more recently Mozilla.  All are happy that I can use the controls
offered to bypass most risks from mail, and none of them have found
them difficult to use.

Before consigning your 'aging mum' to the scrap-heap <g> try giving
her a printout of one of the sites that explains why html in email is
not a good idea, and leave her to read it when she is quiet.  I'll be
amazed if she doesn't come back and ask what her options are.

Anne