[Hudlug] Telephone exchange for HD5 8XP... (and ADSL)

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 01:08:00 2003

Chris Wood wrote:
> This is really aimed at Ben who was saying last night that he had the full
> ADSL postcode list that BT use...

You will do a lot better by doing the check on the phone number rather
than on the postcode.

The checker on http://www.zenadsl.com/  gives you the exchange name if
you put in a phone number.

If there is a better checker somewhere (more info), then please let me know.

BTW, what is everybodies favourite ADSL router?  At the moment I think
the Draytek 2600 is the best.  The throughput seems better than the
alcatel 510 which everybody seems to ship, and it has a decent firewall
built in and uPNP support, and can work in NAT mode and routed mode
simultaneously.  I haven't done proper throughput tests yet though.

I also have an IX66 (contains lots of SIP stuff, and a smart card
reader) and the latest Allied Telesyn offering to try out.

If anybody is looking for a router and would like to buy one cheap in
exchange for some feedback, let me know.

Tim