[Hudlug] Telephone exchange for HD5 8XP... (and ADSL)

Chris Wood hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 08:39:01 2003

hudlug-admin@mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> Chris Wood wrote:
>> This is really aimed at Ben who was saying last night that he had
>> the full ADSL postcode list that BT use...
>>

> You will do a lot better by doing the check on the phone number rather
> than on the postcode.

It's the house I'm buying, which is currently empty with the phone
disconnected. Will see if the vendor will tell me, but he's been pretty
useless so far [garage still full to roof with carpet off-cuts despite him
moving several months ago, ugh!]...

> BTW, what is everybodies favourite ADSL router?  At the moment I think
> the Draytek 2600 is the best.  The throughput seems better than the
> alcatel 510 which everybody seems to ship, and it has a decent
> firewall built in and uPNP support, and can work in NAT mode and
> routed mode simultaneously.  I haven't done proper throughput tests
> yet though.

I have the 2600. Apart from slightly shonky firmware that it seems to take
ages for Draytek to fix, it *is* the dogs danglies unless of course you are
prepared to fork out for a Cisco one.
Mine runs with the sort of throughput that I'd expect from a 512Kb line.
Note sure what differences you'd expect to see in throughput? A difference
of a Kb or so at line speeds like this isn't going to be noticiable, surely?

C.