[Hudlug] Telephone exchange for HD5 8XP... (and ADSL)

Tim hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 10:55:00 2003

Chris Wood wrote:

> It's the house I'm buying, which is currently empty with the phone
> disconnected. Will see if the vendor will tell me, but he's been pretty
> useless so far [garage still full to roof with carpet off-cuts despite him
> moving several months ago, ugh!]...

Oh well.

> I have the 2600. Apart from slightly shonky firmware that it seems to take
> ages for Draytek to fix, it *is* the dogs danglies unless of course you are
> prepared to fork out for a Cisco one.

They are made in Taiwan.  It is so hard to explain software problems to
the taiwanese.

> Mine runs with the sort of throughput that I'd expect from a 512Kb line.
> Note sure what differences you'd expect to see in throughput? A difference
> of a Kb or so at line speeds like this isn't going to be noticiable, surely?

You'd be surprised.   Maybe not for just looking at webpages.  You can
loose a load of packets, and it still will work ok.

My boss uses video all the time, and when I was at his house swapping
between 2 routers (he was in the office) he was convinced the picture
quality was better with the 2600 compared to the alcatel 510.

Tim