[Hudlug] (no subject)

Ben Fowler hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 13:20:00 2003

Here is a brief answer to my question about the advisability of using a disk
97% full, from the ReiserFS FAQ:

Performance is poor, and my disk at 96% full still has free space.

Once a disk drive gets more than 85% full, the performance starts to suffer
unless using a repacker
(which isn't implemented yet.) You can probably get away with 92%, but if
performance is valued
you are making a mistake to keep it any fuller. This is true for almost all
filesystems. ReiserFS, because
of our packing tails together, pack more data into a given percentage used,
but it still is subject to
the rules for max recommended percentage used.

If you create the whole disk with one copy and then mount it read-only, then
you can fully pack it
without problem. Please be sure that you copy it from (or tar it from) a
reiserfs partition so that files
are created in reiserfs readdir order as this will improve performance.

Ben

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger