[Hudlug] Record Attendance

Chris Wood chris at thesprocket.org
Sun Jun 6 12:29:37 BST 2004

Ok, I'll bite, but I've only been awake for 30 minutes, so it's probably
a big mistake... :)

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 09:31, Simon Fox-Jones wrote:
> Dear all
>

> I read with interest the various comments that have been posted on this
> subject.
>
> so here's another 10 penny worth
>
> 1. meeting without an agenda, in a pub, with people you don't know, welll
> that's called getting to know people

Not when you only see them once a month in my book. That's something
rather different - that's people who you pretend you know after a couple
of months, but actually don't at all. At 2 hours a month it would take
me a very long time to class anyone as a friend.

> 2. Lack of direction and choice of meeting point. Well you could use my
> offices and we could set up a machine/ machines with linux on to play with,
> being a live office you could even test it. There is also a pub next door.

I don't know you. Why would I want to come to your office along with 3
or 4 other people I don't know to play with computers, when I play with
them all day long for a living?

The group lacks critical mass, and that has something of a disabling
effect. We are too small to arrange anything formal other than perhaps
meeting in the pub, as people won't turn up for more formal things if
only a handful of people are going to turn up (my opinion, obviously).
Yet, being stuck to meeting in the pub puts people off too, as they
think, hmmm.... it's just a handful of people I don't really know -
don't think I'll bother.

> 3. If you haven't got time to leave the house then set up a cheap Linux
> machine and try doing VPN's. result VPN experience and a fellowship of the
> Linux (groan!!!!!)

Barely have time to type this email whilst in the house. And I work with
computers, so have little desire to spend hours on them when I come
home...

But if the list was always this active, then at least I'd be
contributing to the group more - it's more at the level/pace that I find
interesting.

C.