[Hudlug] Two routers on 1 LAN

Beezly beezly at beezly.org.uk
Fri Aug 12 12:27:07 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 20:16 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Currently the LAN goes through a similar unit in another part of the house,
> with an IP range of 192.168.0.  Paul suggested that I should configure
> this new one on a separate subnet, and since the default is 192.168.1 I
> will stick to that.  I prefer to use static IP, so I'll ignore the setup
> for DHCP.  The first setup screen once that is selected asks for
>
> WAN IP address
> WAN subnet mask
> WAN Gateway address
> and 3 DNS servers.

Basically, set your second router up as if it were a PC on your
192.168.1.x network - give it a WAN IP address and subnet mask as a
normal PC (a 192.168.0.x address), then the gateway address is the
address of your current router. The DNS servers can be the same as on
your PC too.

It's a bit "icky" because you'll be doing NAT twice, but it should work
so long as the router isn't intelligent enough to not pass traffic
externally to 192.168.x.x addresses.

> Then I have to work out how to bridge the two subnets.  The main unit, the
> D-Link, looks as though it can function as a bridge.  Can anyone please
> give me an outline of what I need to look for, and how to begin?  As I
> said, I lose some functionality as soon as I start work on this, so I need
> to know what I'm doing from the start.

If you are able to define static routes in both router configs, then
this should work without any problems. On your 192.168.0.x router you
define a static route to 192.168.1.0/24 pointing at your 192.168.1.x
router's 192.168.0.x address - and vice versa (you may want to read that
a few times, there's a lot of 192.168's!)

Hope that helps - If not, e-mail me back and I'll try to explain more -
I'd do it now, but I'm about to go out of the door to head to London for
the weekend, so I may be some time responding!

Cheers,

Beezly