[Hudlug] Two routers on 1 LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 12:52:21 BST 2005

On Friday 12 Aug 2005 12:26, Beezly wrote:
Hi - good to hear from you again.

> Basically, set your second router up as if it were a PC on your
> 192.168.1.x network - give it a WAN IP address and subnet mask as a
> normal PC (a 192.168.0.x address), then the gateway address is the
> address of your current router. The DNS servers can be the same as on
> your PC too.
>
> It's a bit "icky" because you'll be doing NAT twice, but it should work
> so long as the router isn't intelligent enough to not pass traffic
> externally to 192.168.x.x addresses.
>
> > Then I have to work out how to bridge the two subnets.  The main unit,
> > the D-Link, looks as though it can function as a bridge.  Can anyone
> > please give me an outline of what I need to look for, and how to
> > begin?  As I said, I lose some functionality as soon as I start work
> > on this, so I need to know what I'm doing from the start.
>
> If you are able to define static routes in both router configs, then
> this should work without any problems. On your 192.168.0.x router you
> define a static route to 192.168.1.0/24 pointing at your 192.168.1.x
> router's 192.168.0.x address - and vice versa (you may want to read that
> a few times, there's a lot of 192.168's!)
>
> Hope that helps - If not, e-mail me back and I'll try to explain more -
> I'd do it now, but I'm about to go out of the door to head to London for
> the weekend, so I may be some time responding!

It's a long story, but basically I got a cabled connection working, without
setting up the wireless connection, then tried to go back into the router
setup pages to do the rest - couldn't get to the setup pages.  Tried the
'factory reset' but that didn't work.  I've had a lengthy conversation
with Acer's tech support today and he has pronounced it DOA, so I have to
send it back to them.

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep it on file for when the box returns.

Anne