[Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 15:36:42 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 15:01, Ben Fowler wrote:
> On 3/18/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > This article does seem relevant at this point.
> >
> > Subject: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate
> >
> > here is an article I wrote on this subject:
> >
> > http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/03/13/1628249.shtml?tid=150
>
> I have mixed feelings about Newsforge, and as for the Massachussets and ODF
> question, I am frankly embarassed that provision for accessibility has
> been dragged
> into it.

There has been some follow-up since that message was posted.  It was agreed
that Massachussets and ODF format were not specifically accessibility
problems.  In fact the ODF format raises much the same questions as arise
whenever any person has to learn a new environment, be it a new word
processor or the next version of MSWord.  This misunderstanding is not
confined to the disabled community.  The fear of change is common among most
computer users.

> My main interest is in providing resources and guidance for my
> neighbours whether
> those neighbours are brain surgeons, rocket scientists or simply
> reside in Howden
> Clough. Since this group now includes one person with a complete visual
> handicap I am interested in every means whereby a group whose credo
> includes "self help" can enable access to computing resources for that
> person.
>
> I am considering things like: Who should chose software me or him? Which
> things should be eyes free and which doable with a sighted assistant.
> (Choosing and using a document interchange format is well down this list).
> I am also doing a lot of
> study and reading around these topics.

The choice of software is like any other systems analysis - Michael must
define as exactly as possible what he needs, and we must then find something
that meets those needs.

> The biggest thing that FOSS brings to the party is the notion that hard
> problems should need to be solved only once; next is the undoubted fact
> that open source methods (under whatever name) bring together: A person who
> has a problem, a person who understands the problem and a person who can
> solve the problem. It is this confluence of point of need and delivery of
> expertise that makes it so successful.

I think the main point of the article is that these people are not coming
together as often as they should be.  Many of the negative attitudes that
came from the disabled speakers sprang from lack of understanding of the
issues.  If the various groups interested, as you mentioned above, do not
come together enough for these things to be discussed then progress is going
to be very, very slow.

> Anyway, I will add the link and at some point I will write an essay by way
> of a response or supplement to your article.

Please don't call it 'my' article ;-)  I forwarded the message to draw
attention to the debate, that's all.

Take our situation with Michael's needs.  I find it hard to believe that there
is not one person in the whole of our area that hasn't already met some of
those needs.  Do we know how to contact such a person?  I don't think so, but
someone must know.  The first-hand experience of such a person would be
invaluable.  Just as the article is, we are talking about the need for all
parties to come together to solve problems.

Anne