[Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:20:39 GMT 2006

On 3/20/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 15:01, Ben Fowler wrote:
> > On 3/18/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Subject: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate
> > > here is an article I wrote on this subject:
> >
> > .... It is this confluence of point of need and delivery of
> > expertise that makes [Open Source Methods] so successful.
> >
> I think the main point of the article is that these people are not coming
> together as often as they should be.  Many of the negative attitudes that
> came from the disabled speakers sprang from lack of understanding of the
> issues.  If the various groups interested, as you mentioned above, do not
> come together enough for these things to be discussed then progress is going
> to be very, very slow.

Are you sure? I didn't actually see a main point to the article. What I saw was
a description of how adding the right sound cue to the boot process, could
make booting eyes-free, and an implied wish that this could be developed
and rolled to to all who need it; and an emphasis on the limitations of
documentation for all users and how the temporarily abled could see this
for themselves. FWIW, HUDLug and I would guess any of the other active LUGs
in the West Riding would be happy to cater to corresponding members from
anywhere in the world, regardless of ability or disability. In fact,
communication
using an e-mail list and Wiki need not reveal whether a particular person was
sighted (to take an obvious example) or not

> > Anyway, I will add the link and at some point I will write an essay by way
> > of a response or supplement to your article.
> >
> Please don't call it 'my' article ;-)  I forwarded the message to draw
> attention to the debate, that's all.

I am copying M. Fioretti with my answers.

> Take our situation with Michael's needs.  I find it hard to believe that there
> is not one person in the whole of our area that hasn't already met some of
> those needs.  Do we know how to contact such a person?  I don't think so, but
> someone must know.  The first-hand experience of such a person would be
> invaluable.  Just as the article is, we are talking about the need for all
> parties to come together to solve problems.

I am working on the basis that we may be leading the way here. However, I do
feel that there is a standing invitation for anyone who becomes aware of our
activities to advise us, lend a hand or even provide some form of comic relief.

Ben.