Choosing software (was Re: [Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled ...)

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:10:28 GMT 2006

On 3/20/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 15:01, Ben Fowler wrote:
> > On 3/18/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Subject: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate
> > > here is an article I wrote on this subject:
> >
> > [ snip ]
> >
> > I am considering things like: Who should chose software me or him? Which
> > things should be eyes free and which doable with a sighted assistant.
> > (Choosing and using a document interchange format is well down this list).
> > I am also doing a lot of study and reading around these topics.
> >
> The choice of software is like any other systems analysis - Michael must
> define as exactly as possible what he needs, and we must then find something
> that meets those needs.

I was thinking very much less formally. Suppose I wanted to support SuSE
as I have used it sucessfully in the past, or Knoppix or Ubuntu as these
were simple systems with good community support; but Michael wanted
Mandrake or Centos, which I know less about, or Slackware which would
need significantly more input. How do we get to resolve this? If Michael
has the last word then he gets a system that will be less functional than
would be possible with the resources at his disposal, or something for
which support peters out part way through. If have the last word then I
am guilty of treating him like a child or at best an inferior.

Perhaps we need to organise a plebescite amongst groups who speak up for
the disabled, and arrange a league table ...

Ben