Choosing software (was Re: [Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled ...)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 16:30:08 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 16:04, Ben Fowler wrote:

> I was thinking very much less formally. Suppose I wanted to support SuSE
> as I have used it sucessfully in the past, or Knoppix or Ubuntu as these
> were simple systems with good community support; but Michael wanted
> Mandrake or Centos, which I know less about, or Slackware which would
> need significantly more input. How do we get to resolve this? If Michael
> has the last word then he gets a system that will be less functional than
> would be possible with the resources at his disposal, or something for
> which support peters out part way through. If have the last word then I
> am guilty of treating him like a child or at best an inferior.

Linux is linux.  If we can't, between us, cope with whichever distro he would
like to use, then we should be ashamed.  It bears asking, though, why he
particularly chose that distro.  We have to remember that it is not as easy
for Michael to catch a demo of other distros, so it may be that his choice is
the only one he knows anything about.  I don't know what can be done about
that.

Actually, though, I was thinking more of packages than distro.

> Perhaps we need to organise a plebescite amongst groups who speak up for
> the disabled, and arrange a league table ...

League table????

Anne