[Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:00:13 GMT 2006

On 3/20/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 16:20, Ben Fowler wrote:
> >
> > I am working on the basis that we may be leading the way here. However, I
> > do feel that there is a standing invitation for anyone who becomes aware of
> > our activities to advise us, lend a hand or even provide some form of comic
> > relief.
> >
> A standing invitation, yes, but who has heard it?  We do nothing to make
> people outside our group aware of us.  We have a highly regarded computer
> department of the University in the town, and I'll bet most computer students
> don't even know we exist, never mind the public at large.

Perhaps this is a matter of personality, but I don't want to come under the
wing of the Comp. Sci. department. Probably only about 1 in 400 or 1 in 1000
linux users are part of a LUG, so I would suggest that only a smattering of
students would want to come here, but the ones that did would find it a benefit
to both themselves and to us. This is what I mean by a community ...

Personally, I think that we do. Plenty of Google searches end at our Wiki, for
example we are the 5th site for a search on French Waiter Samba. However,
I am always ready and willing to do things for the first time, and if anyone
has ideas for relevant activities that HUDLug could engage in, then I for
one, am all ears.

Ben