[Hudlug] Fwd: FOSS community, disabled users must learn to communicate

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 18:27:07 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 18:00, Ben Fowler wrote:

> Perhaps this is a matter of personality, but I don't want to come under the
> wing of the Comp. Sci. department.

I wasn't suggesting that.

> Probably only about 1 in 400 or 1 in
> 1000 linux users are part of a LUG, so I would suggest that only a
> smattering of students would want to come here, but the ones that did would
> find it a benefit to both themselves and to us. This is what I mean by a
> community ...

I wouldn't expect very many.

> Personally, I think that we do. Plenty of Google searches end at our Wiki,
> for example we are the 5th site for a search on French Waiter Samba.
> However, I am always ready and willing to do things for the first time, and
> if anyone has ideas for relevant activities that HUDLug could engage in,
> then I for one, am all ears.

My suggestions would be very simple.  Let's get a simple poster into the
public areas in the School of Computing, simply stating who we are and
where/when we meet.  I'd say that we should aim to do that at the beginning
of next semester.

Maybe would could also consider an InstallFest annually?

Anne