[Hudlug] setting up a wireless router

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 15 20:28:30 BST 2007

When I eventually get my wireless router, do I need to call BT and tell
them I am changing from wired to wireless connection or not?
On the connection I have at present, i ran a CD which put certain
settings for my BT Voyager MODEM on my desktop ie I think in the start
menue I have something which relates to the BT Voyager so do these
settings, icons or whatever need to be removed first or will these Icons
and settings be ignored?
Also would any questions I might be asked for my Router be questions
which I need to fill in with my current user information so I get my
router out of the box and type in my current connection details for
username and password into the wireless router or do I have to get BT
which is my ISP to generate a new username and password for my new
connection or whatever you might call it when you migrate from wired
Broadband to a wireless Broadband?
Hope if I change from wired to Wireless Broadband I don't have to give
extra work to Jim'll fix it (ben) if he next comes to look at getting my
desktop working with Linux as I need to have my bios reconfigured for my
external hard drive which will be holding Ubuntu with me duel booting
until I am confident with Linux only PCs and all or most of the software
I normally run under Windows is made as accessible under Linux as
possible or the Linux equivalent of what I use under Windows is brought
up to the same standards of accessibility with speech as their Windows
equivalent ie Firefox working as well with speech in Linux via Orca as
well as it works under Windows with Windoweyes which is the Windows
screenreader which has good access to Firefox whatever shortcommings
Windows may have on other aspects ie Viruses and Spyware.
I hope I see the day when I can open an email in Evolution or open a web
page in Firefox in Linux and have the information read to me as I go
from line to line using the arrow keys like I do at present in Windows
applications that have text like in Firefox or Thunderbird in Windows or
Outlook Express which works better in some ways with Windoweyes than
Thunderbird as it tries to read headings of emails when I go through the
folders which is a bit of a quirk using Thunderbird in Windows but it
does read line by line when a message is opened when I use the up and
down arrows.